FC5_64 fails to start - problem possibly coming from the onboard LAN

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 11:50:56 UTC 2006

Hi Kam,

Tks for your advice.

Problem may come from the onboard LAN.

Motherboard - ASUS A8N-VM with
- built-in PCI graphic card nVidia GeLForce 6100 GPU
- onboard LAN. 10/100 Mb MAC with Realtek ALC8201CL

I made following tests

1)
Removed the PCI-E graphic card (Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600,
GV-NX66256DP2) and disabled the onboard LAN on BIOS.  Connected the LCD
monitor to the onboard graphic card.

Started FC5_64 with GUI and login as KDE as "root" and then as "user".
Both worked great without problem.  I tried opening and closing
applications without screen hung.

Login Gnome as root/user with the same situation, no screen hanging

2)
Same configure as point 1) above but installed a NIC, Realtek, on PCI
slot.  Problem came immediately with screen hanging after working a
short while.

3)
Tested the box as point 1) configure with the PCI-E graphic card
installed.  Although the screen hung finally the box worked for a long
time only without connection to Internet.

4)
Tested Koppix Live CD 4.0.2/DSL/Puppy Linux on this box with onboard
LAN on.  All of them worked without problem only can't find the right
driver for the onboard LAN to setup broadband connection.

Now I don't know why FC5_64 happened in this way, completely cut off
from outside world.

B.R.
SL