A question on commands - faster startup / starting desktop

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 18 12:34:04 UTC 2006

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> FC5_64
>
> It is much faster booting without GUI to "Init 3" and then start X.
> After login "startx" will start Gnome desktop.  What will be the
> corrects commands to start;
>
> - KDE desktop
> - Safe desktop
> - selecting language
I don't know the answer to that, but you might like to try booting
runlevel 5, but without rhgb (redhat graphical boot). There was some
improvements planned in FC testing, but they missed FC5. The delay is
due to the fact that X is started once for the rhgb display and again
for the actual login. I haven't done a timed comparison of the boot
duration, but it definitely seems faster. In /boot/grub/grub.conf remove
the text rhgb from the kernel that is currently getting booted.

DaveT.