yum.conf mirrors - manual config.

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 18 14:38:13 UTC 2006

Casper wrote:
> I have FC5 computers with international traffic available only trough
> proxy... but I have local fedora mirror. My question is, can I in one
> place - yum.conf put my local mirror baseurl, for all *.repo? Or I need
> every *.repo file (core, extras, update, legacy, etc) by hand put
> baseurl or I can put in one place? Is it possible?
> Or I can somehow make script then to update my pc`s?
Funnily enough, I was configuring my FC5 machine for 3 in-country
mirrors earlier today. You can use the baseurl= item to set a particular
mirror, or multiple mirrors. There is also a more recent setting so that
the items are used in order, rather than randomly.

You will have to have your custom URL in each .repo separately - the
string must point to the correct folder on the server which is different
for each repo.

--partial example for .au:
baseurl=ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
  ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
failovermethod=priority

I have also found that for yum proxy settings to work, the machine where
yum is running from must be able to DNS lookups (my situation limits the
proxy to doing dns lookups - this causes yum / pup / pirut to fail).

I also confirmed with netstat -t and ethereal that it really was using
my preferred mirrors.

{ps. I think I saw somewhere a list of alternate - country - fedora
mirrors that you could set the mirrorlist with.}

DaveT.