nfs in FC5

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 18 22:12:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 15:49 +0200, Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 10:58 +0200, Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:
> >
> >> When opening the Network - File Browser it shows the windows network
> >> only (samba), no NFS related info. Also when going to "Places -> Connect
> >> to Server" I could not find a way to make nfs servers visible.
> >> Is this not intended in FC5 or am I missing a package here or how can I
> >> mount nfs shares without manually editing fstab or issueing mount
> >> commands as root?
> >>
> >> Thanks for advice!
> >>
> >> FMF
> >>

> > As others have suggested you seem to be confusing nfs with other sharing
> > technologies. I know of no way under fedora to detect NFS servers. And
> > mounting NFS shares requires a mount command of some sort either in
> > fstab or on the command line.
> >

> Here is the text from "System -> Help":
>
>     To Access Network Places
>
>     If your system is configured to access places on a network, you can
>     use the file manager to access the network places.
>
>     To access network places, open the file manager and choose Places →
>     Network Servers. A window opens that displays the network places
>     that you can access. Double-click on the network that you want to
>     access.
>
>     To access UNIX shares, double-click on the Unix Network (NFS)
>     object. A list of the UNIX shares available to you is displayed in
>     the file manager window.
>
>     To access Windows shares, double-click on the Windows Network (SMB)
>     object. A list of the Windows shares available to you is displayed
>     in the file manager window.
>
> I am just asking how will I get the Unix Network (NFS) object showing in
> the file manager? Because only the Windows Network (SMB) object shows.
>
> Actually there are also only two ways to access an SMB share: through
> "mount -t cifs" or (poor man's version) "smbclient". So how comes I can
> see the SMB shares in file manager without having an fstab entry or
> issuing a "mount"?
>
> "showmount -e little" would give you e.g. the following list on my test
> system:
>
>     Export list for little:
>     /home *
>     /srv/install *
>
> Therefore one could have an automatic discovery of available shares (and
> other Linuxes have that). The documentations suggests we have it in FC5,
> so how can we make it work?
>
> FMF
That might be what the Help system says but how do you do what it is
describing. What application is the file manager. You can open the file
browser but Places does not give me Network Servers, On the other hand
you can go under file and ask to connect and it shows you servers you
can connect to but NFS Servers are not among them.

Where have I gone wrong?
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>