Firefox update, malformed problem

Motor motor1024 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 00:14:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:53:26 +0100, Motor wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:14:04 -0700, Stephen Mirowski wrote:
>
>> Anyone else get the startup error from the new Firefox from updates:
>>
>> "Malformed File
>>
>> Firefox could not install this item because "install.rdf" (provided by
>> the item) is not well-formed or
>> does not exist.  Please contact the author about this problem."
>>
>> ?
>
> Same here. Not only that, but it seems to have blasted all my
> extensions. They appear to be installed, but don't do anything. Great.

Here's some more info: that error seems to have caused that profile to
screw up. It won't install/uninstall any extensions... it just starts
firefox with no extensions running. I tried uninstalling them all and
restarting, but firefox doesn't do the removal when it restarts. If I open
the extensions dialog, I can see them all sitting there still saying "X
will be removed when Firefox is restarted".

If I create another profile, it appears to work ok... but then I'll lose
the bookmarks, stored forms etc etc. Whatever that update did, it seems to
have caused the firefox extension processing during start up to break
badly... and leaves the profile basically screwed. Sigh... it looks like
I'm going to lose all my personal firefox data again.