^M Character gets appended to every Line in jsp page

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 19 00:29:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 18:27 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I am transferring the file from Linux Box A to Linux Box B I tar the
> file on Linux Box A and ftp to Linux Box B and untar it on Linux Box B
> and when I open the File I see at the end of every Line ^M

It's still the same issue...

Perhaps Neil should have stated it this way:  If you transfer text files
*as* text, the FTP client can translate line endings, as it's needed,
between the two different systems.  Of course, this relies on the client
knowing that there are two different systems at each end.

Given an intelligent client, and good FTP servers that identify
themselves properly, it *can* convert when needed (e.g. between Windows
and Linux), or leave alone when not (e.g. Linux to Linux transfers).
But given a dumb FTP client, and inadequate system identification on the
FTP server, it *might* convert something that it should have left alone.

If you send as binary, you send it "as-is".  This is whether you send a
text file *directly* that way, or packed inside an archive.  A file
created on Linux should already be in the correct format, and a binary
(as-is) transfer *should* be fine.

In general I don't experience problems with this.  Which particular
clients and servers are you using?

It might also be an issue with whatever editor is producing the original
files.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.