NEDIT + Red Hat Issue

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Wed Apr 19 05:06:47 UTC 2006

Sid Devarajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use nedit on my RH Fedora linux machine and get this message
> everytime I start nedit:
>
> "The current locale is utf8 (en_US.UTF-8). Changed locale to non-utf8 (en_US)."
>
> Can I do anything to make this go away? It is not a big problem, but I
> would prefer
> not seeing this everytime.

Save the following script as /usr/local/bin/nedit:

  #!/bin/bash
  LANG=${LANG%.UTF-8} exec /usr/bin/nedit ${1+"$@"}

And make it executable (chmod 0755 /usr/local/bin/nedit).

BTW, I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the '${1+"$@"}'
brace expansion.  It's the only way I've found to handle multiple
parameters, some of which contain spaces, but I'd love to know *why* it
works.

HTH

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net