Fedora core 3 - 4GB memory limit?

Eric Persson eric at persson.tm
Wed Apr 19 11:44:30 UTC 2006

Robert Locke wrote:
> Red Hat also introduced a "bigmem" or "hugemem" kernel package that
> changed the underlying memory architecture to a 4G/4G split and allowed
> us to extend addressable memory to 64GB on a 32-bit architecture - but
> again, only 4GB at a time and a need to context switch a bit.  But, this
> made the database folks happy, who cannot seem to get enough RAM to
> cache with.
This is my problem, I need to be able to cache more of the database. :)

> I believe the general recommendation though these days, given that
> hybrid 64-bit CPUs from AMD and Intel are definitively mainstream is
> that we probably "should" migrate to one of these new processors when we
> look to exceed the native 32-bit capacity of 4GB, and hence, no more
> context switching....

Thanks for everyones help with this thread, I sure need to update the
system with available updates and need to check wheather the motherboard
  can handle more ram, but I'm quite certain it can since its one of hps
bigger server models, dont know which currently.

But your hints and tips and following discussion of >4gb memory on 32bit
system was very interesting and will probably keep me on the right track.

Thanks for answering again. :)

/eric