FC5 - login screen - removing reboot shutdown buttons

Kenny Gow kgfedora at swbell.net
Wed Apr 19 14:15:16 UTC 2006

John Horne wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 18:53 -0500, Kenny Gow wrote:
>> It used to be configurable on the Login Screen GUI but not anymore.
>>
>> Here's what to do for FC5:
>>
>> Edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf
>>
>> Add to the [greeter] section:
>>
>> [greeter]
>> SystemMenu=false
>>
> Hello,
>
> Many thanks for this, it works fine.
>
> Can I ask how you found out about this entry in gdm.conf? I looked
> through the files on my system, did a search on the Internet but
> couldn't find anything that worked. Just curious.

I had same question a few weeks back, just after FC5 was released.
I searched also but didn't find any answers. At that time, I had both
FC4 and FC5 installed, so I compared what happened when I made the
change in FC4 (which was possible through the GUI). I went and looked
at the file in FC4 (/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf) which has this section
under [greeter]

[greeter]
# The Actions menu (formerly system menu) is shown in the greeter,
this is the
# menu that contains reboot, shutdown, suspend, config and chooser.
None of
# these is available if this is off.  They can be turned off individually
# however
#SystemMenu=true

So I extrapolated the same idea to FC5 but didn't find the gdm.conf
anywhere. I can't remember exactly how I found the custom.conf file
but it might have been from listing the files in the gdm package.

Then I just experimented with adding "SystemMenu=false" and it worked!

--Kenny