New thread, broadcom 802-11 related

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Apr 19 16:50:48 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 07:44, Neil Cherry wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>> [ditto]
>>
>> Progress of sorts Neil, I've managed to get it to talk to my local
>> network by doing an ifconfig eth0 down & then cycleing wlan0 down
>> then up.  It can now ping all the machines on my local network.  And
>> while it can resolve a tracerouted address, the traceroute itself is
>> blocked before it gets to my router.
>> [root at diablo ~]# traceroute -i wlan0 google.com
>> traceroute to google.com (64.233.167.99), 30 hops max, 40 byte
>> packets 1  * * *
>>
>> 11  * * *
>> 12  * * *
>> etc etc
>> and there is no traffic at the router after the dns lookup.
>> Shutting down iptables for a few seconds makes no diff.
>>
>> Screw it for tonight. The routing table on the lappy isn't sensible
>> either after all this by hand stuff but I don't think thats it when
>> I can ping all the locals, and ATM I'm ssh -X into 'wireless' which
>> is an alias for diablo that hits the wireless ports address, from
>> this machine.  The ethernet cable is unplugged and ssh is still
>> working.
>>
>> This machine has net acccess just fine, I was just reading /. for
>> the night.
>
>Let's take a look at /etc/resolv.conf and the results of the
>route command (replace the first 3 octets of your ISP's address
>with a.b.c.)

Don't ask me what I did this morning, but when I booted it, the ethernet
cable wasn't plugged in.  It all worked!!!!  And yum has updated 29
packages, including kde-network.  I had turned selinux off very early
in this little party, and now I think I need to re-enable it before
some war-driver (like we have someone doing that here in this small
(pop 5000) town in the middle of appalachia.)  Thats now back to as
installed, and a reboot is telling me a relabeling is required, and
could take quite some time. What the ??? is all that?  Its pounding the
hard drive steadily, several minutes worth.  I sure hope all my
frustration hasn't been for naught.  I see it was denied permissions to
read /etc/fstab even before that.  But a 'df' after booting &
startx'ing shows it was indeed read and everything is mounted like it
should be...  This is crazy!  Its not only beer-thirty, but I'm at
least a 6 pack behind. :(

I'm also seeing broadcast messages from hdc and have been for several
days now, "hdc: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason
=0x01)

Anybody have a clue about that?  It seems to work otherwise.

But I am having another problem with the 2080 kernel.  On a shutdown, it
cannot unload the iptables modules & hangs.  That didn't happen for the
previous as installed kernel.  So I have to ctl-alt-del it a couple of
times, and that loses the -h now option so i have to hit the power
switch at about the right time or it just reboots instead of powering
down.  And it just made a liar out of me, that shutdown -h, typed in an
gnome terminal, worked just fine.  Previously I'd been backing out of x
and doing it from a vterm.

Wheres that guy Murphy, if I find him he's dead, like he's dead Jim...

Ok, rebooted, and kwifimanager is now missing from the network menu, but
runs from a terminal.  It runs from a terminal ok. How can I restore
that to the menu?

Also, the new firefox it just installed, outputs a message about a badly
formed .rdf file.  It appears to work for normal browsing though...
Anybody else seeing that?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: