Can anyone explain the use of init3

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Wed Apr 19 17:44:14 UTC 2006

On 06/04/19 11:08 (GMT-0400) Les Mikesell apparently typed:

>> > Just type a return. It's not stuck. It's funky, instead.

>> AFAIR, this is a misfeature of every RPM distro I've used. Where would
>> be the upstream to complain/reportbug to?

> How would you describe the bug?  The X screen is going to be
> started on a virtual console where you don't already have
> a login (mingetty) running.  Switching runlevels will kill
> your running X session.  At that point, why do you think
> the selected virtual console should switch?  Should you
> be forced to VC1 on a runlevel switch - or should a mingetty
> run on vc7 in runlevel3 but not 5 so you'd get a login
> prompt without switching?

What Ian wrote Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:11:41 +0100.

Plus, I boot to runlevel 3. I start 5 only after I know which xorg
config is active, as I don't necessarily always want the same one as
last start. When I want a different config, I drop back to 3, switch the
config, then go back to 5. I'm annoyed that the login tty where I make
the switch doesn't return a prompt to let me know it finished, since
sometimes, the normal near instant return doesn't happen until after
some insufferable and inexplicable wait.
--
"Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
rather expose them."			Ephesians 5:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409