Tyan GX28 can't see SATA drives during install

pallen no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Thu Apr 20 01:14:03 UTC 2006

I'm trying to install Fedora Core 5 onto some new Tyan GX28's via kickstart. They have two 150GB SATA drives and the motherboard is a Thunder K8SD Pro S2882-D. I'm doing a text install, so no X10 stuff, but I'm running into a strange error. The error from the GUI is:

"The following error was found while parsing your kickstart configuration:
The following problem occurred on line 22 of the kickstart file:
Specified disk in partition command which does not exist."

The line in question is:
"part /boot --size=50  --ondisk=sda
part /boot2 --size=50  --ondisk=sdb"

The errors as they show in the logs are:
"WARNING: requested drive sda in boot drive order doesn't exist
WARNING: requested drive sdb in boot drive order doesn't exist"

When I drop down to the command line from the installer, fdisk has no problem seeing sda & sdb. They definitely exist. I've tried partitioning them before the install, blowing them away before the install, but I still get the error each time. I've also tried doing the text install without kickstart, but still a no go.

More strangeness. I have three of these GX28's. Two had this error, but one of them was able to handle the FC5 install. I used the good server to configure the drives for the bad ones, and those two machines are now in production. But when I went to configure the final set of drives, the good server started giving me the same error as the bad servers. Ugh! I still have one machine left unconfigured, which needs FC5 installed on it as soon as possible.

If anyone knows of any workarounds, I would be delighted to hear them.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=80539&topic_id=19872&forum=26#forumpost80539