.Net & C#

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 05:00:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 10:29 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Steven Pasternak wrote:
> > Ed Greshko wrote:

> >> Why not run Vmware or Xen and XP as the guest.  They you can run your M$
> >> stuff in a Virtual machine on your FC HW.
> >>

> > I suggest using Qemu. It is free and REALLY fast. To have improved speed
> > (needed for XP), though, you need to compile it with kqemu support.
> > http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu
>
> FWIW, both Xen and VMware are free....and fast...and have great
> community support.  Been using VMware for 5 years now...even before it
> was free.
>
> What's nice is that VMware is more then an emulator.  You run the entire
> guest OS as if it were on its own system.  And, you can take snapshots
> of your running guest.  That way when you mess up an install of an
> application your can *really* uninstall it.

Be aware that:
A. VMWare server is still beta (Beta 2 was released two weeks ago) but
it's reasonably stable.
B. Running Windows on Xen requires either: 1. Modified (or should I say,
Xenified) version of the Windows kernel (which you might have access
to ;)) or 2. VT capable hardware. (Currently, only a limited number of
Intel CPUs are VT enabled; AMD VT core are to be released within Q2).

In short, VMWare Beta is the best option.

Gilboa