How to copy a Fedora system?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Apr 20 12:12:18 UTC 2006

Kenneth Porter wrote:

>> The extended attributes are AFAIK SElinux related
>
> No, they predate that:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes>
>
> Try "man lsattr" and "man chattr" to see the available "standard" EA's.
>
>> and if the dump is
>> not properly restoring that it certainly should be submitted as a bug.
>
> True. But it may not be a bug with dump/restore. Stelian Pop (dump's
> maintainer) should be able to tell you what the real issue is.
>
> <http://dump.sourceforge.net/>

Thanks for the pointers.
I might say that the FC-4 system I copied in this way
and then updated to FC-5
has been working fine for several days,
so it does not seem as if the warnings during restore were important.

I checked a few of the files that got the lsetxattr warning,
and they seemed to have no attributes before or after, eg

[root at alfred tim]# lsattr -v /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
1424857363 ------------- /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
[root at alfred tim]# lsattr -v /mnt/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
2312123006 ------------- /mnt/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

So I guess the warning just meant something like:
"if you did have any attributes set they would not have been copied".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366