yum upgrades kernel modules

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Thu Apr 20 12:18:15 UTC 2006

I just ran "yum update" on my FC5 system. There was a new kernel available, so
that was installed, but the associated nvidia kernel module package from Livna
was upgraded instead of being installed. The result is that my older kernel is
now left without the nvidia module, and if I want to go back to the older kernel
for some reason, the nvidia module won't be available.

This is all trivial to fix of course, because I can just install the correct
nvidia module package to match the older kernel, but shouldn't kernel module
packages, like the kernel packages, be "installonly" instead of being upgradable?

--
Anand