NetworkManager tutorials?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 20 13:46:33 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 08:47, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 00:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Subject...Is there such a thing?  I've browsed the limited docs
>> installed on FC5, without finding anything that tells me how to
>> configure it.  All I know is that if I start those 2 daemons, I have
>> to manually restart the network to restore service, and
>> that /etc/NetworkManager is an empty directory.
>>
>> --
>
>Could you explain what you mean by restarting the network since that
> may not be correct.

As in 'service network restart'

Starting the NM daemon apparently takes me offline.

I note at the bottom of the redhat link that it says broadcom stuff
doesn't work, presumably because its ndiswrappered.

I know that ndiswrapper generated some pretty vociferous condemnations
from the GPL defenders, but it there's no other way to do it, what are
we the users to do. We're hardly in a position to demand GPL chipsets
in the lappy's we buy, particularly when they are so intertwined in FCC
regulations that are specifically designed to keep us from hacking
these 'software radios' to do illegal things. IMO thats unforch, but
its a fact of life and we should learn to deal with it after we realize
all the mewling in the world isn't going to change the regulatory
agencies stance on this even if broadcom were of a mind to gpl their
drivers.

Is there any hope that this will be addressed and NM made to work with
an ndiswrappered chipset eventually?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: