yum upgrades kernel modules

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:20:54 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Anand Buddhdev <arb at anand.org> wrote:
> I just ran "yum update" on my FC5 system. There was a new kernel available, so
> that was installed, but the associated nvidia kernel module package from Livna
> was upgraded instead of being installed. The result is that my older kernel is
> now left without the nvidia module, and if I want to go back to the older kernel
> for some reason, the nvidia module won't be available.
>
> This is all trivial to fix of course, because I can just install the correct
> nvidia module package to match the older kernel, but shouldn't kernel module
> packages, like the kernel packages, be "installonly" instead of being upgradable?

That's a very good idea, Anand.  Unfortuantely, since Linva does not
fall under the auspices of the Fedora Project, you can't report that
in Fedora's bugzilla.  That being said, the Livna project also uses
bugzilla.  I'd strongly encourage you to open a bug against the driver
here: http://bugzilla.livna.org/ and give the same feedback there that
you gave here.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."