Security: Unpatched and Doing Fine?

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Thu Apr 20 16:20:56 UTC 2006

Howdy,

This may be of interest to some on the list ;-)

Security: Unpatched and Doing Fine?

by Kristy Westphal

It's been a year since the Honeynet project published the results of
their study (pdf) , which concluded that Linux systems can last much
longer than Windows systems unpatched on the Internet. I am sure that to
some extent this remains true, but I wonder when I see things such as
statistics (e.g.,http://www.zone-h.org/en/stats) that claim the highest
percentage of attacks are seen on Linux systems and the number two
reason they are attacked is because they are unpatched.

This has long been a sore spot for me in the Linux world, not because
Linux systems are "unsafe", but because patching (not just for
enterprises, but even for home users) on Linux is a pain. Some versions
are easier than others, but simply trying to get the patches and ensure
that you don't break anything is usually a challenge. And I don't see it
getting easier, either.

Full article at, http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=10075/ur0604e/

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.