NetworkManager tutorials?

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 17:20:49 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 20 April 2006 08:47, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 00:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings;
>>>
>>> Subject...Is there such a thing?  I've browsed the limited docs
>>> installed on FC5, without finding anything that tells me how to
>>> configure it.  All I know is that if I start those 2 daemons, I have
>>> to manually restart the network to restore service, and
>>> that /etc/NetworkManager is an empty directory.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>> Could you explain what you mean by restarting the network since that
>> may not be correct.
>>

> As in 'service network restart'
>
> Starting the NM daemon apparently takes me offline.

The "network" and "NetworkManager" services do the same task, as I've
found when I had both of them started I would sometimes connect to wired
with one and wireless with the other :P So I just keep network off now
on my laptop.
About not using GNOME...the NetworkManager applet right now is
gnome-specific, so you might want to look into the efforts being made
toward a KDE applet.
-Dan