Script for easy MP3, DVD, nVidia, ATI, Java support

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Thu Apr 20 21:00:53 UTC 2006

Brandon Hutchinson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I put together a script to make my life easier when installing MP3 support,
> DVD support, nVidia drivers, and other "forbidden
> items" (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems) on Fedora Core 5.
>
> I call it "Fedora Helper." If you'd like to give it a try, the script is
> available here:
> http://brandonhutchinson.com/Fedora_Helper.html
>
> The script is loosely based on Fedora Frog, a script I first heard mention of
> in a fedora-devel-list thread a few weeks ago:
> http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog
>
> I encourage you to try Fedora Frog to see if that script meets your needs.
>
> Many of the features of the Fedora Helper script require the Livna
>  repository. If you are using RPMForge repositories, you will not be able to
>  use the script for some of its features, such as nVidia drivers, ATI
>  drivers, MP3 support, and DVD support.
>
> Features:
>
> * Prompts to install "zenity" (gnome-utils RPM and its dependency,
> gnome-panel) if it is not already installed. zenity provides the GUI
> front-end for the script.
>
> * Prompts to install Livna support for options requiring it (e.g. nVidia
> drivers, ATI drivers, MP3 support, DVD support).
>
> * Forbids RPMForge and Livna repository mixing. If RPMForge repositories
>  (i.e. Dag, Dries, FreshRPMs) are detected, and the user selects an option
>  requiring Livna support, the script will exit with an informative error
>  message. The user may still use the script to install non-Livna software
>  (e.g. JRE, LimeWire).
>
> * When selecting "MP3 Support," script attempts to detect all currently
> installed MP3-related applications (e.g. amaroK, xmms) and install the
> packages needed for MP3 support (e.g. gstreamer-plugins-ugly for Rhythmbox,
> xmms-mp3 for xmms).
>
> * When selecting "DVD Support," script attempts to detect all currently
> installed DVD-related applications (e.g. Totem) and install the packages
> needed for MP3 support (e.g. libdvdcss for MPlayer).
>
> * Can download and install the latest version of Win32codecs from
> www.mplayerhq.hu.
>
> * Can install nVidia drivers. User is notified if nVidia drivers were
> installed for a different kernel than the one the user is currently running.
>
> * Can install ATI drivers. User is notified if ATI drivers were installed for
> a different kernel than the one the user is currently running.
>
> * Can install Adobe Acrobat 7.0.5 along with its Mozilla plug-in.
>
> * Can install Macromedia Flash Player 7 along with its Mozilla plug-in.
>
> * Can install Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 6 along with its
> Mozilla plug-in. If /opt is a separate physical partition, JRE is installed
> in /opt. Otherwise, it is installed in /usr/local. JRE is then selected as
> the main program to provide "java" using /usr/sbin/alternatives.
>
> * Can install LimeWire. If /opt is a separate physical partition, it is
> [...]
that's good work man.  thanks.  this type of thing should be something
that is announced, not from fedora/redhat, but the community, alongside
every fedora core release.

i already have what i need installed, so i didn't need to use the
program, but i was thinking that *some* of the things in livna can mix
with rpmforge, such as kmod-nvidia so you may not want to have your
program automatically exclude one or the other, though it would be much
more complicated to do on a per rpm basis.

i only say, because i prefer rpmforge, but i need the kmod-nvidia driver
which livna packages so i have the livna repo installed, but disabled
and do a selective --enablerepo=livna when i need to update the
kmod-nvidia driver.

but enough of that.  good work!

--
Anthony

Website: http://messinet.com
Gallery: http://gallery.messinet.com/main.php?g2_itemId=34

GnuPG Key / Fingerprint:
0xB0014A4E / 8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Registered Linux User #389089 - Get counted!: http://counter.li.org