partition management in linux - [solved]

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 21 01:30:42 UTC 2006

on 04/20/2006 07:29 PM Tim wrote:
> oleksandr korneta:
>>> The goal is to delete the fat32 partition and extend the ext3 partition
>>> to the whole drive without losing the data. There is no way for me to
>>> backup this data - it is 200Gb drive. Neither gparted nor qtparted
>>> cannot handle this task (I assume these are based on the same lib).
>>> Presumably, parted will fail as well.
>>>
>>> Is there any tool for linux (preferably opensource) that is capable of
>>> accomplishing of this task?
>
> Many years ago I had to resize a partition before I could put Linux onto
> a drive.  If I recall correctly, it was a Linux tool called "fips" that
> did it.

As a convenience to our customers, we provide the FIPS utility. This is
a freely available program that can resize FAT (File Allocation Table)
partitions. It is included on the Red Hat Linux CD-ROM in the dosutils
directory. If you are using NTFS partitions, FIPS will not work.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide/s1-x86-dualboot-fips.html

presumably it would not help me

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./