FC5 Network nightmare

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Apr 21 09:35:37 UTC 2006

Antonio Montagnani wrote:
> 2006/4/21, Antonio Montagnani <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>:
>> alias eth0 ne2k-pci
>> alias eth1 ne2k-pci
>>

>> something strange is happening, because I added the additional card
>> and both cards seems similar and alias eth0 skge was deleted.
>> What is kudzu doing???
>> --
>> Antonio Montagnani
>> Skype : antoniomontag
>>

> furtehrmore,
>
> Network Manager tells:
>
> etho is a Marvell Technology Gigabit ethernet
> eth1 is a Realtek 8029 (AS)
>
> then my modprobe.conf has been modified....like two RTL8029 cards!!!!!
> I think that problem is great as my box is a router.No problem in
> FC4/FC3/FC2...and so on

I had the same problem after upgrading my firewall box to FC5 - the two
different NICs were randomly assigned to eth0 and eth1 despite them
being different NIC types and having appropriate entries in
modprobe.conf. The "quick fix" was to swap over the cables on the NICs
if the cards were assigned "the wrong way". I've since added HWADDR
entries for both cards but I can't say if that's fixed it because I
don't reboot that box very often.

What I think you need is:

modprobe.conf:
alias eth0 sk98lin
alias eth1 ne2k-pci

Add to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
HWADDR=00:11:D8:BF:9F:05

Add to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
HWADDR=52:54:05:E5:82:46

Paul.