irq allocation issues

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 12:06:00 UTC 2006

Lonnie Smith wrote:
> I'm running 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 and on an Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard and
> am running into some interrupt issues. After a standard install and "yum
> upgrade", I get the following allocations:
>
> $ cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:     545863    IO-APIC-edge  timer
>   1:       1197    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
>   5:       6911    IO-APIC-edge  ohci_hcd:usb1, ivtv0, HDA Intel,
>   ehci_hcd:usb2, eth0, ohci1394
>   8:          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
>  10:          0    IO-APIC-edge  libata
>  11:        192    IO-APIC-edge  libata
>  12:      16413    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
>  14:      12700    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
>  15:      19231    IO-APIC-edge  ide1

<snip>

Sounds like a motherboard problem. You could look for an updated BIOS,
or you could try reverting to use the old-fashioned PIC-style interrupt
controller with the noapic kernel parameter.

You would do that by adding the word "noapic" (without quotes,
surrounded by spaces) into the appropriate "kernel" lines in
/boot/grub/grub.conf, or by editing this line in the grub startup menu.

Incidentally, are you running in 32 or 64 bit mode? Do you have a
dual-core processor?

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Remember, half-measures can be very effective if
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | all you deal with are half-wits.