cant determine ip on dhcp, means no network

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Apr 21 14:22:15 UTC 2006

sagaris wrote:
> I have a zoom adsl x4 5001 modem and a cnet pro200 ethernet card which seems to work in fc5. but i cant get the network online. static ip doesnt work either. i always get the same result which is: I try to activate the ethernet(DHCP), it fails to determine the IP
> information for eth0.
> my service provider use pppoe llc protocol and i have a dynamic ip.
> in fc4 i dont have any network problem since the installation but in fc5 i dont have a network which means i become a blind guy try to use a new distribution.
> any ideas, how can i get my internet back!???

Dumb question - is the modem set up to do the PPPoE connection for
you. If not, then you had FC4 set up to use a PPPoE connection, and
you need to set up FC5 the same way. When using a PPPoE connection
directly from the Linux machine, eth0 will not have an IP address.
I know that sounds strange, but the PPPoE connection has the IP
address. If I understand it correctly, the Ethernet connection in
the PPPoE link is not using TCP/IP, so it does not have an IP
address.

Mikkel