Router as embedded Linux?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Apr 21 16:35:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Neil Cherry wrote:

> Tom Diehl wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Randy Grimshaw wrote:
> >
> >> The Asus was nice but they are no longer available.
> >> The current way to go is the Linksys WRTSL54GS.
> >> At least with openwrt.org and derivitives.
> >
> > Unless you can find some old GS laying around (check the serial number)
> > don't get the GS. The new GS is now running VXWorks. The only wrt54G still
> > being manufactured for Linux is the GL.
>
> My understanding is that the new WRT54G V5.0, WRT54GS V5.0 and
> WRT54GC are all running VxWorks. The only 'store bought' WRT
> is the WRT54GL (I thought I might word that a bit differently).
>
> The auction sites and a few refurb online stores still carry
> the older routers. First check with the Openwrt.org site to
> find out exactly what serial numbers correspond to which
> routers. The WRT54GS V4.0 is the most prized as it has the
> most memory (8M RAM, 32M flash). Although the WRTSL54GS with

If you are looking for the extra memory be careful with the GS V4.
I have a couple of GS V4's and they only have 4/16 in them.

The open wrt pg says this:

WRT54GS v4.0

NOTE: v4.0 only has 4 MB Flash and 16 MB RAM. Half of prior versions.
Some WRT54GS v4 has 8 MB flash and 32 MB RAM, only first relase of WRT54GS
v4 had 4MB/16MB.

So that would seem to indicate that there are units with 8/32 but
the ones I have are 4/16 and there is no way to tell until you get it home
and open it up.

> the same RAM/flash also has a USB interface so you can mount
> a disk (I have a WGT634U which has a similar feature).
>
> The WRTSL54GS can still be purchased also.

Have you actually used one of these?? Just curious. I have thought about
trying one of these but I have not. The only down side I can see is the
fact you cannot replace the antenna.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com