FC5 32 bit or 64 bit

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:18:38 UTC 2006

On 4/21/06, PFJ <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I have installed FC5 on my laptop usinig the 32 bit cd image. But my
> > laptop is having AMD turion64. The installation is successful. Is this
> > OK or i have to reinstall from 64 bit image?
>
> You should be fine with the x86 image, but be aware you may need to
> reinstall the 64 bit version at a later date.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

1. The x86_64 drivers are still not as mature (debugged) as the ones
for the x86_32.  Testing volunteers wanted/needed.

2. For the home user there is not a "must have" application or feature
in x86-64 that makes it compelling to switch.

3. If you want everything to be 64-bit it will be much later. Because
of patent issues for multimedia that may be never.