fail to mount CDROM

Nader Mirzaee nmirzaee at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 17:36:05 UTC 2006

Nader Mirzaee:
>>> When i try to mount CDROM there is an error window saying "unable to
>>> mount media there is probably no media in the drive " but the media
>>> is in the drive.

Tim:
>> Do you have more than one disc to test with?

Nader Mirzaee:
> i have only one CD-ROM drive it is ASUS 52X read only.

What I asked was whether you have more than one "disc".  i.e. Can you
put a different disc into the drive and see if it acts the same?

If you put an unreadable disc in a drive, it *may* act as if you hadn't
put any disc in the drive.  It could well be that the only problem
you're having is the disc, itself.

>>> i try to mount it with mount /mnt/cdrom it says mount : can't
>>> find /mnt/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

>> Which distribution of Fedora are you playing with? Since FC4, the
>> CD-ROM has been mounted at: /media/cdrom or /media/cdwriter if it's a
>> burner. It could also be named dvdrom or dvdwriter if it's a DVD
>> drive.

> i use FC5
> mount /media/cdrom does not work as well it says can't find
> /media/cdrom in /etc/fstab

FC5 is supposed to handle removeable media in a different way than prior
releases, and is supposed to handle it without manual user intervention
of the fstab file.

Again, this may be down to the disc.  Is it an ordinary data disc?  Do
you know if it's worked before?  If it's a multi-session burnt disc, it
may need to have the last session closed.

If you're trying an compact audio disc, they aren't "mounted".

And just for the sake of covering all possibilities, you can't read a
DVD in a CD-ROM drive.  They're physically different.

>>> how can I edit fstab ?

>> With a text editor, as the root user.

> my question about editing fstab is that what should i add to fstab so
> that i can mount my cdrom?

On FC4 I have something like the following.  You could try it, but then
whatever system you have on FC5 that automatically mounts removable
media might have a fight with it.

/dev/cdrom  /media/cdrom   auto    pamconsole,noexec,nodev,noauto  0 0

NB:  I think the auto-mounting system FC5 uses is tied into Gnome or
KDE, if you use them.  If you don't use either of them, you might be
fine with manual configuratin.

If you still don't get anywhere, I think your next post should include
the following, along with details about what you've tried:

      * A copy of your /etc/fstab file
      * The output from:  ls -l /dev/cd* /dev/hd* /dev/sd*

i put a different discs into the drive and result is  the same.
this is my fstab:
  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
 LABEL=/boot                  /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
 devpts                            /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
 tmpfs                             /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
 proc                               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
 sysfs                             /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
# ls -l /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 21 20:53 /dev/cdrom -> hdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 21 20:53 /dev/cdrom-hdb -> hdb

# ls -l /dev/hd*
brw-r----- 1 root disk 3,  0 Apr 22  2006 /dev/hda
brw-r----- 1 root disk 3,  1 Apr 22  2006 /dev/hda1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 3,  2 Apr 22  2006 /dev/hda2