Console Fonts and Languages

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Fri Apr 21 21:47:38 UTC 2006

Greetings Tim ,

In case that  plays any role i am trying to setup my Fedora Core 4
installation
to display correctly Greek Charachters under Console ( under X everything
is working great for as far as X Windows are concerned ) using
a 2.6.15.4 kernel from kernel.org

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 02:08 +0300, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>
>>Well i wanted to ask for a console (the Alt+ Fn things) who controls
>>the default keymap, the default codepage, the default iocharset/nls if
>>you prefer. It is my fear that it's the kernel so if someone wants to
>>change them he would have to recompile the kernel, but then the question
>>remains. Upon boot (init level 3  always) which language will be used?
>>Although i don't think that it plays any role, let's assume a Fedora
>>Core 4 machine (it should be the same regardless of the Fedora Core
>>version but anyway)

Just to check that am getting things straight enough

> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"

Here you set your language to be English and you are selecting UTF
charachter set
( iocharset )

> SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

This is the line for the system font ( font to be used ) .
latarcyrheb-sun16 i think is the default font .
> #SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"

Here you define that only English are supported on
both UTF and ISO ( UTF and iso8859-1 )

> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/keyboard

> KEYBOARDTYPE="pc"

The standard 102 keys keyboard

> KEYTABLE="us"

This is the keymap i was asking .

> The i18n file would appear to set the default, language, character
> encoding, and font.  NB:  Some are as terse as that example, some have
> many more lines.

ACKnowledged but mine looks pretty much the same .

/etc/sysconfig/i18n

LANG="el_GR"
SYSFONT="fixedgr"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en:el_GR.UTF-8:el_GR:el"

/etc/sysconfig/keyboard

KEYBOARDTYPE="pc"
KEYTABLE="gr"

> I presume the keyboard file sets the keymap, it looks that way, but I
> haven't tried changing things to see if it's actually used.

Well i have . Don't presume . It is actually the file that sets they keymap
thing . It's the KEYTABLE thing in the /etc/sysconfig/keyboard

> I have messed with settings and seen different languages (with their native
> fonts) in the consoles, and that was just by changing settings (no
> recompiling needed).

Well untill now i was unsuccessfull  . Tried with various fonts with the
above
settings but i have failled .

Kind Regards,
   Kostas