Broadcom bcm43xx.ko

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Apr 22 02:49:00 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

>Greetings;
>
>Getting curious (yeah I know, it finally killed that famous cat for the
>9th time)  I was wandering around in the lib/modules tree after the
>2096 kernel had been installed, and low, and behold even, there sits a
>driver module for the bcm43xx broadcom chips.  Its in:
>
>/lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2096_FC5/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko
>
>Ok, fireing off the network settings utility in kde, I was going to try
>and setup a new network port as eth1, but I find that the only driver
>listed with a broadcom name in it is for the 'tigon', whatever that
>might be.
>
>Now, I'd like to get rid of the ndiswrapper stuff on general principles,
>so where, and how, can I make the above driver available for linux to
>use?  What contains the list of drivers thats available for this
>utility, and which I might be able to add this driver too?
>
>I might add that I have the system-config-network screen open and
>displaying the list of available drivers, but a perusal of the output
>of lsof -c system-config-ne isn't showing me any likely candidates.
>
>Thanks for any clues.

All I can come up with is a link to the development web site:
http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ and lots of posts from people having trouble
making it work.  Sounds like the README may have some detailed
instructions involving the Windows firmware.  You may need to pull down
the source just to get the instructions.

Too bad you didn't post a week or do ago.  I'm going to be needing a
working laptop for the next several days so I'm a little reluctant to
play with this at the moment.  Hopefully will have the laptop (and me)
available for experiments in a week or so.

Cheers,
Dave