FC-5. Cannot install in graphical or text modes

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 05:33:11 UTC 2006

On 4/21/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/21/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Some more information about your system would be helpful.  Apparently
> > > the Fedora installer doesn't play well with something in your system.
> > > That could be any number of things.

> > > What?  I have used x86_64 Fedora since FC2 and have had no problems
> > > with 64-bit drivers.  What are you talking about?  Sure, some hardware
> > > may have issues, but that is generally true regardless of
> > > architecture.  This is an over-generalization and is bad advice.
> > >

> > Really, then why can I install FC5-x86_32 without any problems but can
> > only install FC5-x86_64 in text mode? I am not the only one
> > experiencing this problem.
>
> I don't know.  Maybe your graphics card is a piece of junk.  I really
> have no way to tell from what you have written.  Perhaps you also
> could follow the above advise and supply some information beyond "it
> doesn't work for me."  The problem just might get fixed.  Whatever the
> case, I still fail to see how you made the logical leap from your one
> set of hardware not working to all 64-bit drivers are less stable than
> their 32-bit counterparts.

I said "mature" not "stable". For your information I have an ECS
K8M8000-M2 motherboard.The x86_64 installer properly detects the
onboard graphics adapter, Via Unichrome Pro, but cannot launch X. The
x86_32 version detects the same hardware and can launch X. Drivers for
x86_64 should be at parity with x86_32 but are not.

> > > How is that going to help?  As far as I know, the same installer is
> > > used, so the problem is probably still going to be present.  Perhaps I
> > > am wrong?
> >
> > This gets rid of CDROM disc issues that many mailing list posters have
> > encountered.
>
> Problems before the installation starts?  I'm not sure exactly, but it
> sounds like the install is haging fairly early for the OP.  Granted,
> not much info was given to go on.  Still, it seems like a long shot to
> me.  Of course, I don't have any better suggestions at the moment :).

The OP can also try a text mode install. That is, if he can
successfully wade through the really bad UI. .