FC5: X won't start

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Apr 22 12:48:39 UTC 2006

Jörn Rink writes:

> Am Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:32:58 -0400
> hat Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> (Sam Varshavchik) folgendes
> geschrieben:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Take it up with Nvidia.  Nvidia is a closed, proprietary software
>> driver that cannot be debugged.  Furthermore, depending on how you've
>> installed it, Nvidia's scripts often overwrite key xorg libraries,
>> permanently screwing up your system completely, beyond all repair.
>

> i can understand your problem with a non open source driver in fedora.
> But the NVidia driver is free ;-)

No, it's not.  Where's the source code for the entire driver?

> In my years using NVidia drivers under Redhat (think 5.x) , these
> drivers never screw up my system.

That's good to know.  But, you're on your own.  If it never breaks for you.
Great.  If it breaks, but you can figure out how to fix it, also great.  If
you can't, tough luck.  The only help you can expect would be from other
users, making, mostly, random guesses.  No developer will going to help you.
They will not care, in the least bit, how long you've been using the nvidia
driver without any problems.