named: dumping master file: tmp-xxxxxxx: open: permission denied

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 22 16:11:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 07:22 -0400, Gerry Doris wrote:
>>> When I check /tmp I find that sure enough there are many empty
>>> directories all named tmp-xxxxxxxxx.  These are owned by root.root and
>>> have 700 permissions.  I've been going in and deleting them manually.

LC:
>> chown and chgrp named to named

> named is running as user named and  /var/named plus all directories and
> files inside are owned by named.named

Though you said the temp files were owned by root and mode 700...  Named
won't be able to work with them.

> This is a box that was recently upgraded from FC3.  Everything appears to be
> working fine and I'm not seeing any other errors messages.

I might hazard a guess that the other user's sticky bit hasn't been set
for your /tmp directory.  I've had that happen to me.

e.g. This is how mine is set:
     ls -dl /tmp
     drwxrwxrwt  16 root root 4096 Apr 22 15:33 /tmp

See the chmod map page for how to set the sticky bit.

Though, I'd have thought any named temp files would have ended up
inside:  /var/named/chroot/var/tmp

I read messages from the public lists.