[OTs] free video hardware

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 22 18:30:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 10:08:37 +0200,
  "A.J. Bonnema" <abonnema at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> What I am looking for is 3D performance. I will just go and see if I can
> find a comparison of Radeon 9200 and other cards (like my radeon 800 XL).

Another nice thing about 9200s is that they don't need a fan for the card,
so its quieter.

> BTW my own card works well with the radeon driver for 2D, but I am
> looking for 3D performance too (I don't know why, but I like playing
> games :{  )

The driver for the 9200 uses the 3d features of the card. The reason things
are slower is that the card is an older model.

If you buy a 9200, stay away from the SE cards.

Also note that free software support for ATI r300 based cards is being worked
on. I don't know the exact state of things, but my impression is that the
the driver is usable now.