Configuring Runlevel

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Apr 23 00:50:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:37:23AM +0200, Ali Helmy wrote:

>    Hey mates,
>    What is the absolute MINIMUM of services that need to be running in order
>    for runlevel3 to work correctly? I mean, can I remove ALL services, and just
>    start runlevel3, then after log-in, run what ever service i want?

That depends on which services you don't think you need. You can run
in single user mode (run level 1), but you probably want some things
from run level 3. You probably want a network, in which case you
probably want a firewall of some sort.

Fire up system-config-services, and uncheck and stop services you
don't think you need. Then try it. You can always turn them on again
later.

Then again, why start them up manually if you know you will want them?