Configuring Runlevel

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Apr 23 02:14:58 UTC 2006

On 23Apr2006 01:37, Ali Helmy <alihelmy at gmail.com> wrote:
| What is the absolute MINIMUM of services that need to be running in order for
| runlevel3 to work correctly? I mean, can I remove ALL services, and just
| start runlevel3, then after log-in, run what ever service i want?

Just about.

As recommended by Charles Curley, you will probably want a firewall if you
turn on the network. But technically, not even that. In theory, if you
run no network services you need not have a firewall because your
machine will not be listening to the network. And if you turn on a
service you will want to be opening a matching firewall hole anyway.
I major benefit of a firewall to a standalone machine is that
you will know exactly what your are letting in. Turning on a network
daemon _may_ cause your machine to listen to all sorts of stuff
unexpectedly.

On my machine I have turned off everything with chkconfig, and then
start it by hand from /etc/rc.local. Why? A few reasons: the /etc/init.d
startup scripts from RedHat and Fedora as quite inefficient for some
things, and starting them from my own script lets me start things
in parallel. Also, this way I know at a much lower level what I am
starting.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns;
he should be drawn and quoted. - Fred Allen