Can't connect to port 25 from another system

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 23 04:18:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 14:04 -0700, Filippos Klironomos wrote:
> Thanks! I didn't know there was an issue with 8-bit encoding! I've
> switched the default encoding with Firefox to UTF-7 now. Hopefully
> this mixup won't happen again!

It was still base64 encoded, with a UTF-8 encoding inside it.  But I
can't see Firefox making any difference.  Firefox is a web browser, and
changing the default in that will only affect how it handles pages that
don't declare what they are.  If you're using webmail, whatever parses
the form will encode as it sees fit.  You may have such options in your
webmail configuration.

This, also, might well be due to the list server, or any mail servers
between yourself and it.  Or, mail servers between the list server and
how we each receive the mail.

Many mail systems will transcode mail as it passes through.  This can be
a problem if they stuff it up, and there's a good chance of that if the
original client didn't properly specify what it did.

I read messages from the public lists.