Iptables not saving...

Devon Harding devonharding at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 13:34:38 UTC 2006

The reason I want the chains saved, is because I'm uning sshdblackd (
http://www.sshblack.com) <http://www.sshblack.com/> to block failed ssh
attempts on my box

Here is everything that I did manually...

[root at mars ~]# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
BLACKLIST  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain BLACKLIST (1 references)
DROP       all  --  uo82.internetdsl.tpnet.pl  anywhere
[root at mars ~]# cat /etc/cron.hourly/iptables.cron
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/iptables-save >/dev/null 2>&1
[root at mars ~]# /sbin/iptables-save
# Generated by iptables-save v1.3.5 on Sun Apr 23 09:24:51 2006
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [19025:2595521]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [691823:184550717]
:BLACKLIST - [0:0]
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j BLACKLIST
-A BLACKLIST -s 80.55.144.82 -j DROP
COMMIT
# Completed on Sun Apr 23 09:24:51 2006
[root at mars ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/iptables
# Generated by iptables-save v1.3.5 on Sun Apr 23 09:01:15 2006
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [18650:2543690]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [690115:184341112]
:BLACKLIST - [0:0]
[664430:180357913] -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
[3365:200808] -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
[6:360] -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j BLACKLIST
[3:180] -A BLACKLIST -s 80.55.144.82 -j DROP
COMMIT
# Completed on Sun Apr 23 09:01:15 2006
[root at mars ~]# reboot

Broadcast message from root (pts/0) (Sun Apr 23 09:25:40 2006):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
[root at mars ~]#

Last login: Sun Apr 23 09:20:19 2006 from pluto.domain.com
[root at mars ~]# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)