[Solved - of sorts] CUPS printing problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Apr 23 14:30:31 UTC 2006

On Sunday 23 April 2006 01:44, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-22-04 at 19:31 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 April 2006 18:17, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > > Why does everyone have the idea that you have to adjust client.conf on
> > > all the clients of a print server?
> > >
> > > You don't need to do that at all -- just enable browsing.  In fact,
> > > this is done by default anyway; so just do nothing.
> >
> > In theory, maybe.  In practice it didn't work.
>
> Actually, it will definitely work because that's the way CUPS has been
> defined.  I have always configured CUPS that way, and on the client
> needed nothing.  As long as the CUPS server is on the same network as
> the clients, the clients don't need any further configuration.

I'm about to go on holiday, and I don't care a hoot, but I'm going to answer
this, for the sake of others.

There is an oft-used acronym, YMMV.  You, and others, should remember that.
When I say 'it didn't work', I mean exactly that.  It is not clever to assume
that you know exactly what is happening on a setup of which you know
absolutely nothing.  There may be software problems, hardware problems,
conflicts due to samba trying to handle multiple boxes, and many other
possibilities.

Personally, I'm past caring when people answer in this vein.  Newcomers may
just go elsewhere.

Anne