Firefox Acroread plugin not working

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Apr 24 01:51:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 23 April 2006 19:14, Kam Leo wrote:

>>> That question is rhetorical I assume as we won't know till it bites
>>> us again if there are any others.  But it does tend to show just how
>>> much committment Adobe has in supporting linux.  Their test box is
>>> probably still running rh6.1...
>>>
>> Gene, how is Adobe responsible for a problem caused by Red Hat /
>> Fedora Core developers? You are using essentially the same version of
>> Acrobat Reader that worked without problems for Fedora Core 4. It is
>> not Adobe's fault that the Red Hat / Fedora Core  implementers of
>> SELinux changed the rules after Acrobat Reader 7 was released. If you
>> have a bone to pick, take it up with the responsible party.
>
> Well now, I *thought* that was what I was doing in posting to this list.
> and the fix did eventually come from here, no doubt deciphered by
> someone intimatly familiar with selinux and the errors it may cause to
> be thrown.  As a new user to selinux, how would I have recognized that
> error when the docs are so limited, literally one page, 1/3 of which is
> credits.
>
> But it appears the fix is to request that Adobe include that command in
> the rpms post-install script, so I have also requested that of Adobe.

AIUI, the fix is to get Adobe to rebuild the library so that it doesn't
require that command.  The fedora-selinux-list archives have an
explanation, which you might want to pass on in your bug report.

To be fair to Adobe, I think this type of protection is new in FC5's
SELinux policy.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences