Burning FC5 Image on DVD

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Apr 24 09:37:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 00:22 -0700, Usman S. Ansari wrote:
> I am trying to burn FC5 image on DVD (currently running FC 4).
>
> I have tried burnning two DVD so far, after burning, booting, I verify
> the image, FC5 says thatthere are errors on the image.
>
> 1. I have SONY ' 'DVD RW DRU-810A ' '1.0d' Removable CD-ROM
> 2 .I am using HP dvd+r 4.7 GB media, df shows
>     /dev/hdd              3.1G  3.1G     0 100% /media/cdrecorder
> 3. Using growisofs -Z /dev/dvdwriter=/Big-Disk/images/FC-5-i386-DVD.iso
> command to burn.
> 4. Also, mounted DVD and did a diff between the image and mounted DVD,
> it said two images are differnet.
>
> Any idea what could be wrong ? I have verified md5sum number of my image.

This is what I do when burning DVDs from Linux - works well, images
verify.

As root -

cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdc -dao -pad -speed=4 -v /path/to/dvd.iso

-=-

Without -pad - they still burn and install OK but fail media check.
Without -dao - cdrecord complains (maybe just my burner model) and
exits.

-dev=/dev/hdc is the path to my DVD burner.

I don't remember exactly model (I could find out) - but it is a basic
Sony 8x4x32 DVD+/-RW

I never use DVD-RW - I only use DVD-R.
It is suppose to be able to burn at 8x but it only seems to work at 4x
for me.