Remote X

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 11:00:25 UTC 2006

Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Jay Cliburn wrote:
>
>>Jonathan Allen wrote:
>>
>>>And what do you type at the shell prompt to actually start the X session
>>>at the remote end and display it locally ?
>>
>>gnome-session
>

> That gives me all sorts of error messages and stuff at the remote end
> because I am runnning my normal Gnome window manager at the local end
> and it doesn't want to have two gnome sessions.
>
> I find that it will run an individual task (xterm, ooffice, etc.) fine,
> but one of the reasons I wanted this was to be able to do remote system
> admin using the various drop-down menus and service lists that are a part
> of the standard Gnome session/desktop.

As you found out, you cannot start another window manager on display
that already has one running. The options you have, as far as I see are.

1. Just log in via ssh and run the commands you want by hand. All the
"standard Gnome session/desktop" menu items you refer to are available
at the command line, as gnome-XXX (type gnome- and hit tab).

2. If you really want the gui (why ???) Use some other technology to
allow you to have another X session running. I.e use a VNC session, NX etc.

Chris

> Any ideas ?
>
> Jonathan

| Dr Chris R Jones         work   : +44 (0)1223 337324         |
| HEP Group  (rm 882)      fax    : +44 (0)1223 353920         |
| Cavendish Laboratory,    home   : +44 (0)1223 510711         |
| Madingley Road,          mobile : +44 (0)7723 327477         |
| Cambridge, CB3 0HE       email  : jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk   |