Remote X

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Mon Apr 24 12:53:56 UTC 2006

Chris Jones wrote:

> As you found out, you cannot start another window manager on display
> that already has one running. The options you have, as far as I see are.
>
> 1. Just log in via ssh and run the commands you want by hand. All the
> "standard Gnome session/desktop" menu items you refer to are available
> at the command line, as gnome-XXX (type gnome- and hit tab).
>
> 2. If you really want the gui (why ???) Use some other technology to
> allow you to have another X session running. I.e use a VNC session, NX etc.

I thought it would come down to that.  Thanks for confirming it.
(1) works for almost everything.  Creatign new icons and putting them
on to a user's taskbar, however, is more tricky that way :-)  I'm working
on FreeNX but I'm having authorisation problems when it goes for the
'pubkey' authorisation.

Jonathan