Remote X

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 24 13:06:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 13:50 +0100, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> J. K. Cliburn wrote:
> > Jonathan Allen wrote:
> > >
> > > I find that it will run an individual task (xterm, ooffice, etc.) fine,
> > > but one of the reasons I wanted this was to be able to do remote system
> > > admin using the various drop-down menus and service lists that are a part
> > > of the standard Gnome session/desktop.
> > >
> > > Any ideas ?
> >
> > There was a thread posted here within the last week, in response to
> > which I detailed the steps for activating xdmcp across 2 FC5 hosts.
> > Search the archive and I'm sure you'll find it.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but this needs to be secure, so neither VNC
> or XDMCP are an option.  I'm working a number of leads to avoid the
> window manager clash or to use FreeNX.

You can always tunnel VNC over ssh.  I have used this in the past, it
works well.

The best option IMHO is to use ssh and invoke the particular tool you
need to run such as system-config-services.  No reason to run a full
window manager to admin the box.

And if you really need a menu type interface for these admin tools it
would be fairly easy to write a script or program that presents you the
list and lets you call the program you want.  You can even create a set
of launchers on your local machine that start ssh and executes the
particular script/program on the remote system in one shot.

ssh -Y nameofremoteserver nameofprogramtoexecute

Set this launcher up to run without a terminal and you get a nice
authentication requester to establish the ssh connection then the
program/script will be run on the remote system and its display exported
to your terminal.  Works well.

This would give you a set of launcher icons on your local machine that
connect to and launch specific applications.