FC5: Users successfully boot to X (Gnome), but root does not.

Bob St John bob at stjohn.name
Mon Apr 24 13:08:23 UTC 2006

Folks,

In my FC5 x86_64 Gnome environment, users can successfully boot to the
graphical mode, but root cannot - shortly after root login, X begins to
start (I see the FC5 post-login splash screen), but then I'm left with
only a mouse pointer (the pointer is moveable) on a blue background.

I'm quite sure this is another symptom of the problem described below
(which was never resolved.)

Any ideas on what may be wrong?

Bob St. John