FC5 - quick yum fix for java plugin?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 14:28:34 UTC 2006

On 22/04/06, Jay Cliburn <jcliburn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 12:05 -0400, Marc M wrote:
> > I am having trouble getting my java plugin to work properly.  I am
> > trying to run a cbt on a training website and firefox sends me to the
> > java site for the plugin.  I have downloaded the rpm.bin file, run the
> > script, chmodded the rpm to 777, and I still get the following.
> >
> > Does anyone have any good updated yum locations where I can just grab
> > a good file with some updated repo's, that are likely to fix all of
> > these dependencies?
>
> Assuming you're running 32-bit FC5, go here for instructions.
>
> http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java

Coincidentally I followed that this morning before seeing this thread
(well the identical, to my eyes, version from
<http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4>).
While I found it relatively painless I have three comments, the first two
are technical:
It assumes the user is set up to sudo things like yum, this isn't the
default on Fedora, so su - -c"" might be more appropriate.  It uses
~/rpmbuild, which is certainly good practice, but doesn't mention that
you need a file (~/.rpmmacros I think) set up for this to work.

Finally, for simplicity it might be worth having a script which does this
all for you.

Anyway, installing Sun's java has certainly sped Azureus up (not to
mention I now have a Java plugin for Firefox).  Hopefully the gcj guys
will catch up soon.

--
imalone