Difference between Debian and other flavours of Linux

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Mon Apr 24 16:01:33 UTC 2006

At 14:33 24/04/2006, you wrote:

>That's fine if that's what you want; distributions like this exist -
>CentOS for example. These distributions do, by their very nature, lag
>behind the "leading edge". *Someone" has to be at the leading edge in
>order for problems to get resolved, and there's a fine line to be drawn
>between being too close to that point that the distribution is highly
>unstable and difficult to use (perhaps this might apply to rawhide) and
>being too far behind the leading edge that people are wanting widely
>available new bits of software that aren't deemed stable enough yet to
>be included.
>
>Given the popularity of Fedora and the roughly equal numbers of people
>clamouring for new releases of KDE/Gnome etc. and complaining about
>instability, my gut feel is that the balance is about right.
>
>Paul.
>
>--

If I could add my 2 small currency units worth to this, I think
Fedora is great, but in my so far very limited experience of
submitting reports to bugzilla, fixes are much slower than I was
expecting. In fact, so far nothing that I've submitted has yet been fixed.

Take bug number 186766. This was opened on 26th March although the
problem is a lot older than this. It has been looked at by Jindrich
Novy, who has decided to reassign the bug to a kernel issue. That was
five days ago and nothing appears to have happened since. Or perhaps
someone is silently working on a fix. I just don't know. It would be
nice if the person assigned to the bug could send a progress report
even if it were just "I'm working on it" or "It's next in the queue".

Take bug number 178847. This is my first attempt at making a
contribution to Fedora Core. As I have tried to make a contribution
to the project I feel I have at least some right to make these
complaints. The bug is a RFE, opened on 24th January, with the
intention of helping new converts from the Dark Side through the
first important but confusing it seems stages of installing Fedora
for the first time. Three months on, my work is hidden away somewhere
in the wiki rather than on public view in the iso downloads folder
where it would be of some considerable use.

Now that I've started using FC5, I have of course discovered other
faults with it including another USB issue.

So to sum up what I think I want to say about it, the concept of
Fedora Core is great, but I really can't recommend it to any of my
friends or family who are less experienced computer users than me
until I can feel confident that bugs get addressed reasonably
promptly, which includes feedback from developers/maintainers to the
bug reporter.

Dave F