Wireless Routers for Linux?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200604 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Mon Apr 24 17:14:13 UTC 2006

Neil Cherry <ncherry at comcast.net> writes:
> How about run a WAP with dynamic routing? There's OSPF, RIP and BGP.
> I originally picked it up to do WDS. Looks like the older boxes can
> handle WDS too (the BEFWS411).

I keep on hearing about folks wanting to run OSPF (etc) on the
wireless side in order to set up an adaptive mesh network.
Unfortunately when it comes to actually putting up a roof-antenna most
people bail.

For me the biggest advantage of openwrt is that it is quite a bit more
secure that the stock Linksys firmware.  One can turn off all plain
ascii access to the box (no telnet, no www) and then run ssh in its
strongest mode where one only allows RSA or DSA logins (with ascii
passwords intentionally disabled).

-wolfgang