GRUB fails -- dead in water -- HELP

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Apr 24 23:39:58 UTC 2006

geoff at hughes.net wrote:

> Boot-up stops with "GRUB" (no other info) where the menu should be.
>
> Booted Knoppix.  All files are where they should be.  / and /boot are
> readable.
>
> Did an update from the FC5 DVD. No files were updated.
>
> Re-loaded FC5.  Same problem.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

Do you mean you get the grub> prompt?

If so you could try running grub interactively - something like:

grub> root (hd0,1) [if /boot is on /dev/hda2]
grub> kernel /vmlinuz... ro root=...
grub> initrd /initrd...
grub> boot

I'd guess you might have an error in /boot/grub/grub.conf ?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366