Firefox Acroread plugin not working

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 25 02:06:51 UTC 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 16:27, Paul Howarth wrote:
[...]
>> Where does one find this info since java normally runs silently?  I
>> have copied the java ns7 plugin to the firefox plugins dir, but its
>> still not found, and running firefox from the shell and doing an
>> about:plugins leaves a blank shell when firefox is then quit.
>
>You might find selinux denial messages in /var/log/messages - search
> for the string "avc:  denied" (note the two spaces after the colon).
> You can also check to make sure it's an SELinux problem by doing
> "setenforce 0" and see if there's still a problem.
>
>You might also try my Java HOWTO:
>http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava

I followed that, and the first mistake I'd made was in getting the one
with netbeans included, which didn't fly at all. I should have known
when it was 127 megabytes it was the wrong one, but...

Then once I'd fetched the right file and stepped thru all the procedures
in your link above, includeing almost an hour to get 2 of the 3 new
filelists yum needed to get while executing yum-com, and an equally
slow download of the OBDC stuff, it eventually said it was done with an
exit 0.  Then I cleaned up the links and files in the plugins dirs,
loaded filefox both as root and as a common user, and voila!
about:plugins now reports a whole screenfull of java stuff.

The only place I'll fault the instructions in the above link is that in
the case of FC5, one must change the use of the ~/downloads directory
quoted every so often to be /usr/src/redhat in actual fact, then
everything Just Works(TM).

And I have yet another very big grin on my face for a few minutes, till
I run into the next showstopper anyway.

Which isn't this, but this is a slight worry from the log:

Apr 24 21:34:07 diablo kernel: hdc: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
confused (ireason = 0x01)
Apr 24 21:34:09 diablo kernel: hdc: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
confused (ireason = 0x01)

There is no disk in the drive, and its been reading disks just fine.

Clues again?  Or should I go see if I can make HP put another drive in
it?  Which will be a bummer because tech support has already told me
the warranty is null and void if I put ANY 3rd party software on it.

Who, me?  Why, I have NDI how that linux install got onto it,
honest. ;-)  What a bunch of phallic symbols.

The point is, I already paid C.C. for a 3 year warranty, up front and
they will not wiggle out of that without seeing me in small claims
court.

[...]

>> Now, maybe I'm slow this morning, but my reading of the semanage
>> manpage makes no mention of setting a 'default' that a relabel will
>> leave alone.
>
>Using semanage you can change policy for file contexts amongst other
>things. This affects the contexts applied to files using restorecon
> etc.

Are you saying that if I change it with chcon, its temporary, but if I
change it with semanage its permanent?

'scuse me, but these manpages suck dead toads through soda straws!
(Thats plagerizing a longtime friend of mine you all know)
They seriously need a rewrite in much plainer language.  These are
concise to the point of obtuse.  WTDO=Way Too Damned Obtuse.

[...]

>> And how do we make it permanent in the face of another relabel?
>
>Something like this should work:
>
># semanage fcontext -a -f -- -t textrel_shlib_t \
> '/usr/lib(64)?/firefox.*/plugins/.*\.so'

which didn't work before, and apparently isn't needed now.  The drive
has been relabeled a couple of times already.

>Paul.

Thanks for the kick in the gitalong Paul, it worked out quite well, and
another FC5-ism shot down in flames.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: