How are OS updates handled by default in FC5?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Apr 25 05:23:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 19:44 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> > >In olden days, the throbbing update icon on the taskbar would
> > >start up automatically when you logged in.
> > >In FC5, what handles that function?
> >
> > Nothing, really, not since FC4.  Something may be in the works for FC6.
> > Some people think that automatic yum updates take its place -- but such
> > updates are disabled by default.
>
> I see.  FC5 is a bit broken, then, from a security point of view.  Tsk.
> - Dan

No it isn't.
You can run yum as a service and it will nightly grab updates -
including from third party repositories you can enabled.

There isn't a notification area to inform of updates - but I always
thought that was a broken way to do it - because users who don't have
r00t have no way to respond.

Go to System -> Administration -> Services

and check the box for yum.
It will then nightly install whatever updates it finds.

Third party repositories also integrate with "Software Updater" if you
wish to manually check for updates instead of running yum as a service.

Perhaps a firstboot module to turn on yum automatic updating during
firstboot should be added (well, I would just add it to the
SELinux/Firewall firstboot module, rather than a new module)